Re: Scanner and Fedora Core 1

Bengt-
I had the same problem with a SCSI scanner (upgraded from RedHat 7.2, so I was unfamiliar with changes to sane), but had a different explanation than did Hanno. My issue was that I needed to create a link to my scanner driver named /dev/scanner.

Hope it helps.
-al
On 26 Nov 2003 13:55:27 +0200
Bengt Lindholm <bengt lindholm salnet fi> wrote:

> Is there somebody with a working scsi-scanner?
>
> My Umax PL-II worked fine with RedHat 9 out of the box. Then I
> installed Fedora from scratch and even as root the "sane-find-scanner"
> does not find anythig. Fedora knows, that the sacnner is there
> (scanner -> sg1). I uninstalled the old sane-backends, got the latest
> from sane-project.org and configured it. The same result. Is it
> possible, that the scsi is somehow already in use and that is why the
> sane-find-scanner or xsane does not work?
I observed the same problem with a different scanner.
Here the problems were
1) a 'wrongful' entry in the /etc/ld.so.conf
   - remove the sane entry and make sure /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib are
both there before /sbin/ldconfig /sbin/depmod -a

2) when configuring sanebackends and xsane i made ! sure the the config
directory is /etc and not /local/etc

After that everything worked fine
cheers hanno

Do you Yahoo!?