Re: RH 9 dist-upgrade problem

Thanks, Michael, for the reply.  Sorry for the delay but I was away for
a few days.  Please see below.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2003 at 07:41:59PM -0500, Michael Clewley wrote:
> On 21, John Velman wrote:
> > I've been using Fedora to keep my RH 9 up to date for some time now with
> > no problem.
>
> How, exactly, are you doing this? IE, mixing rh9 repos with fc1? Or by
> fedora, do you mean rawhide? Or, by some chance, would you be
> using/mixing them all?

Well, I didn't mean to be mixing anything.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure
exactly what 'rawhide' means vis-a-vis old redhat distributed RH, and
any upgrades gotten from the previous fedora.us site.

Anyway, here is how I got to this point.

1. Some time ago when it first came out I installed RH9 from a boxed
set I bought at Staples or somewhere.

2. I was unhappy with the lack of a gui rpm management tool in RH9.
Someone suggested checking out www.fedora.us and synaptic.  I did, and
I liked it.

3. So, since that time I've been using 'fedora' to update and upgrade my
RH9.

4. Specifically, my /etc/apt/sources.list file has only two lines
not commented out, viz:
---
rpm http://download.fedora.us/fedora redhat/9/i386 os updates stable
rpm-src http://download.fedora.us/fedora redhat/9/i386 os updates stable
---

I haven't used RedHat's up2date, or any other source for upgrading my
redhat rpms for months.

I got in the apparent mess I described below by simply using synaptic
(from the above mentioned fedora site), and apt-get, against the above
two sources for 'update', 'upgrade', and 'dist-upgrade'.

I haven't' yet tried to go to the new 'fedora core' from the
fedora.redhat.com site.

So my problem seems to be a problem with the fedora at download.fedora.us,
not with fedora.redhat.com.

If this was the wrong list to post to, please accept my apology.

> I ask, because you have a very bizarre mix of symptoms for a rh9 -> fcX
> upgrade via apt.

No, I haven't tried this.  Is this straightforward?  I.e., can I go
rh9 -> fcX without downloading the isos, but by just doing an apt-get
dist-upgrade?  Where can I find info on this?

Is it a good idea to upgrade to fcX (whatever the current X is)?  I've
got only one computer with 1 linux partition.  (Frankly, I've been toying
with the idea of moving back to Debian :-)

Best, and Thanks,

John Velman