Re: general sendmail question

On Fri, 2003-11-28 at 12:19, Craig Tinson wrote:
> guys.. have a quick query..
>
> my boss has asked me to setup sendmail so that any email that goes out
> through it from his employees gets auto'cc'd to him..
>
> this is to be done with sendmail so that the emplyees don't know it's
> happening.. is this do-able?

I don't know if that's as easy as a config line.... but what you want to
do is create an additional RCPT TO: <boss-e-mail-address> PRIOR to the
smtp DATA command. (Note the < and > are part of the smtp syntax.)

There's no need to put the cc: in the rfc822 headers if you really want
it to be done secretly. (and cc: would be seen by all recipients anyway,
so it wouldn't be secret for long.)

By using RCPT TO: without putting it in the "envelope" you effectively
create a "bcc:" (blind courtesy copy)

This sort of thing has other uses... all e-mail can be copied to another
location to be archived... a copy of a reply could also be sent to the
same archival place and effectively all e-mail communications are
recorded...

Don