Re: "Disk Druid" After installation

On Wed, 2003-11-26 at 05:27, Brian Hanks wrote:

> I've been messing with RedHat systems and partitioning (fdisk & parted)
> for many years and I've always thought that a graphical partitioning
> tool should be available after the initial install.  Like you, I even
> posted these thoughts a couple of years back.  The interesting part is
> that at that time, I did receive a reply from one of the RedHat guys.
> He basically said that Disk Druid would eventually be made available for
> use after the install.  Since that was well over two years ago, I doubt
> that we are going to see it any time soon.

    Yeah, I heard the same thing, but never thought I'd need it; I'm an
fdisk kinda guy, and always have been.  But what I was attempting was
such a small and simple thing, I was hoping to forgo the usual
hunting-for-the-command-line.

> This leaves us with two choices for graphical partitioning after
> install:
> 1.  QtParted - This GUI for the parted utility is available for download
> at qtparted.sourceforge.net.  I've used it many times before and it
> seems to work fine, but its functionality is very limited.
> 2.  DiskDrake - Switch to Mandrake and use their DiskDrake utility. I'm
> not a fan of the Mandrake distribution, so this isn't a viable solution
> for me.
>
> If anyone else has other alternatives, let us know.

    It doesn't look like many alternatives exist...maybe Partition
Magic?  I have two problems with that:

    1. I'd have to install Windows to run it, right?

    2. I really don't trust a Windows-mostly tool to guard my Linux
data.  Still too many horror stories come to mind.

    Oh, well- I learned what was holding up the process, and the command
line to overcome it...but I'm still agast at why a 10g drive couldn't
hold a 7.something-g drive.  Maybe there's (A LOT!) of space occupied by
the RAID stuff?

Brian FahrlÃnder                     Researcher, Conservative, and Technomad
Evansville, IN                                    http://Fahrlander.net
ICQ  5119262