Re: yum vs. up2date

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 19:12, Ryan Daly wrote:
> I've looked a little through the manpage for yum and found that it does
> alot of what up2date does.
>
> Is there a difference between the two?

Yes

> Does up2date call yum, or has it always?

Umm...short answer: no and no.  Long answer: up2date can use any number
of package management repository formats, including yum's and apt's.
But it doesn't execute a yum command line; rather, it understands yum's
RPM repository directory structure.

> Is yum the replacement for up2date?

Short answer: No, they do slightly different things, and the things they
do that are the same they may do differently :).
Long answer: think of yum and apt and up2date as tools to help more
simply manage the RPM packages you install.  When you want to install a
given RPM, yum and apt and up2date will figure out what other RPMs it
might be necessary for you to install, and handle that for you
automatically ("dependency management").

up2date has a GUI, too, and yum doesn't.  up2date supports different RPM
repository formats (those used by apt, yum, and just directories of
RPMs) that yum doesn't.  yum can be used / is easier to use from the
command line and automated scripts (for some operations).

Comparing the three is a broad topic.  Use them all and see what you
like.  Alternately, tell us more about what you want out of up2date/yum
and we can be more helpful.