Re: Fedora Update Notification: Mozilla [1.4.1-18]

On Thursday 20 November 2003 18:48, Don wrote:

> that would be great if up2date could handle
> Mozilla 1.4, 1.5, 1.6 and a user could choose which version they want
> to "track".

You can configure up2date to "skip" any application you don't want
overwritten. So, if you were playing with one version of an application
that wasn't in the "official distribution"  you can still use up2date
without hosing your pet project. This is not tracking a specific
version among many but perhaps "apt" has this capability,  I don't use
it so I don't know.

> Is it just a matter of the hours required to put rpms together?

There is another thread currently where a fellow has a problem because
another application,  Galeon I think,  requires the Mozilla libraries
from the version prior to the bug fix.  He has to make a choice to
update Mozilla and in doing so, dumping Galeon or keeping Galeon and
living with a Mozilla that easily seg faults or digging in to see what
Galeon really needs.  What other programs use the Mozilla libs? I don't
know, but these are the kinds of problems that will have to be
addressed when a new version is released.

> Since Fedora is "For the people, by the people", what is the process
> to volunteer to do this sort of thing?

I think there're good links on the Fedora web sites:

http://fedora.redhat.com

if you want to get your feet wet.