Re: OT: reply to posts with "no mail" option set

At 11:09 11/17/2003, you wrote:
As the systems administrator for my company, I would have a hard time
with users just bringing in PCs and setting them up on my network. [...]
So please Rodolfo, before you make suggestions like these,
think them through from the SysAdmin side of things. If his company has
a similar policy, he could be fired for setting up a PC like that. With
all the issues with hackers, viruses, et al, companies are having zero
tolerance for things like this.

<rant> Oh so many things come to mind, but let me make a few points:

1. Companies need to realize which issues are truly important and which are not. Firing a valuable employee for bringing in a personal computer is, IMNSHO, asinine. This is not a "zero tolerance" issue, and if it is, the company has either the wrong management or the wrong sysadmin because it WILL lose competitive advantage to others who manage their human resources better.

2. In a technically-minded community such as this, it is the user's (read: the poster's) responsibility to honor his/her moral code, prevailing social mores, company policy, national constitution, and Planetary Federation Starship regulations if and how he/she damned well sees fit. If my suggestion appealed to the OP, it was his (her?) responsibility to go check whether that was permitted/recommended/whatever. If the OP then chooses to blow up the office out of frustration with the company's Notes server, that is also his/her own damned problem.

3. I have been on this list AFAIK almost as long as it has existed, and I also participate actively in other fora. In all that time, this is the FIRST TIME someone has chewed me out for trying to help a fellow human being. What does that say about you?

Suggesting that I am going to be responsible for someone losing their job is simply out of line... I'll keep the rest of my response to myself since there are ladies here as well. Good Christ, whose systems do you admin: the KBG's? Sheesh...
</rant>

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx