RE: Fedora Server

On Fri, 2003-11-14 at 11:26, fedora wrote:
> ++++
> Message: 28
> Subject: Re: Fedora on the server
> From: Brian Collins <listbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
> Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:02:12 -0500
>
> I'd recommend going with RH9 (or RH8) for now.  You may want to think
> about Enterprise if this is mission-critical, but it's not really
> necessary.  My only Enterprise boxen are the pair in my Samba fileserver
> cluster.  Everything else I run Red Hat on (30+ machines) is 7.1 thru
> 9.  And those are machines that run DHCP, BIND, Postfix, Apache (both
> with and without FP extensions), Coldfusion, Qmail, Samba, VS-FTP, PHP,
> MySQL, PosgreSQL, and some proprietary stuff.  We've even got COBOL
> running on RH (for a little longer - we're replacing that app).
>
> Bottom line - I personally wouldn't put Fedora into production yet.

if you want to put someone else to do most of your job you should chose
RedHat :) they have technical support and the rest of the stuff that
will make your life easy.

But, as we all know when there is a large community developing a free
software it will reach a high level very fast (take OpenBSD for
example). But, again, there is the security problem with open source :(.
RedHat, as they said, want Fedora to be the project where all the
problems/software will be solved/tested. So putting apart the technical
support fedora core with some minor modifications will allways be one
step before Enterprise. And in my opinion will not be much difference
between those two.