RE: Fedora Server

++++
Message: 28
Subject: Re: Fedora on the server
From: Brian Collins <listbc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:02:12 -0500

> My company is buying a new Dell server (2x2.4GHz P4 Xeon, 2Gb RAM, 73Gb
> RAID 1 SCSI) for our production customer facing web site and I have been
> trying to decide on which Linux distribution to use. It needs to run
> Apache, tomcat, sendmail, mysql, php and bind and have minimum downtime.
> We normally have about 25Gb of HTTP traffic a month, but is likely to
> double over the next 12 months. I am not fussed about having paid for
> support (that's my job!)
>
> I was going to choose RH9 (after deciding against Debian), but I just
> found out about Fedora. Is Core 1 suitable for this type of environment?
> Or would you recommend I go with RH9 or Debian.

I'd recommend going with RH9 (or RH8) for now.  You may want to think
about Enterprise if this is mission-critical, but it's not really
necessary.  My only Enterprise boxen are the pair in my Samba fileserver
cluster.  Everything else I run Red Hat on (30+ machines) is 7.1 thru
9.  And those are machines that run DHCP, BIND, Postfix, Apache (both
with and without FP extensions), Coldfusion, Qmail, Samba, VS-FTP, PHP,
MySQL, PosgreSQL, and some proprietary stuff.  We've even got COBOL
running on RH (for a little longer - we're replacing that app).

Bottom line - I personally wouldn't put Fedora into production yet.

--B C
++++

dear list subscirbers,

This is an interesting situation. It is my personal feeling that Fedora will
without a doubt, and before you know it, spring a whole range of server
configurations. Many of these will be devoted to providing a stable, secure
and productive server platform. Why? Because this is what most of us have
done with linux over the last few years. This what we know, this is what we
know well. Now comes the problem, RedHat probably never intended Fedora to
be a competing platform for their commercial product Enterprise. Whilst I
doubt that any community Fedora platform will challenge the level of service
or even technical aspects of enterprise, Fedora will eventually give birth
to competing platforms, this is inevitable and not wholly undesirable.
The question to ask yourself is whether at this juncture in time you wish to
migrate a server to Fedora Core 1 or leave it as a R.H. 9.0 or go for
Enterprise.
It's not about money, it's about the path forward and the open ended nature
of the choice. Fedora is "in the wild", Enterprise is neat-clean-tightly
managed and well, RedHat 8,9.0 are going the way of the dodo bird.. If you
got a multi-million dollar operation, buy Enterprise, simple. Just don't be
surprised if in a few months there's a fedora that works just as well.
Actually, you shouldn't be surprised, this is how the community will
develop.