RE: up2date behavior

> Several people on this list have commented about registering with red
> hat for Fedora. Now when I click on the up2date applet it ask me if I
> want to register but never really does. It just goes through the motion
> of checking for updates on the configured channels I have.
>
> Now my understanding is that it is supposed to do just that. No
> registering with red hat it just checks the configured channels. Yum or
> Apt whatever they might be. Now I know you can uncomment a line in the
> source file and it will actually connect to rhn(hopefully most people
> know what I'm talking about). But why does it continually ask if I want
> to register when that line is not uncommented? And for that matter why
> is the ability even there in the first place?
>
> Even if the ability for it to connect to rhn is because it is for
> development purposes it should not just register some fedora uses out of
> the blue, or even just ask if you want to register. Are there plans to
> fix this?  It seems strange to ask if you want to register with red hat
> every time you start up2date when it is not intended for this OS to be
> registered. And that it is just a function that has not as of yet been
> removed. I would think this would cause some confusion with some people
> new to the distro. Or ones who have yet to fully understand what red hat
> has done and why.

>From what I can find, the rhn-applet does NOT do this.  It appears to
contact RedHat at http://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC.  Meaning that the
applet does not simply check for new files at the source urls, it uses the
RedHat Network software to notify it of new software.  Unless Fedora plans
to emulate this, there is no use in even having it installed.

Once again...up2date works fine, just edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources with
the urls you want to check.  But the rhn-applet will only notify you of what
the RedHat Network tells it to notify...and that won't be Fedora.

That being said, it should be a simple matter of replacing the notify code
in the applet to simply check urls sources for newer files.  I dare say that
code could be borrowed from up2date.  It would then work the way everyone
seems to expect it to.  Any takers??

D. Lee Rose
---
Rose Computer Solutions