RE: up2date behavior

>From what I can find, the rhn-applet does NOT do this.  It appears to
> contact RedHat at http://xmlrpc.rhn.redhat.com/XMLRPC.  Meaning that the
> applet does not simply check for new files at the source urls, it uses the
> RedHat Network software to notify it of new software.  Unless Fedora plans
> to emulate this, there is no use in even having it installed.
>
> Once again...up2date works fine, just edit /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources with
> the urls you want to check.  But the rhn-applet will only notify
> you of what
> the RedHat Network tells it to notify...and that won't be Fedora.
>
> That being said, it should be a simple matter of replacing the notify code
> in the applet to simply check urls sources for newer files.  I
> dare say that
> code could be borrowed from up2date.  It would then work the way everyone
> seems to expect it to.  Any takers??

Indeed, it seems I was wrong in that analysis.  rhn-applet does check the
sources config file.  However it doesn't seem to handle redirection, and the
fedora site has moved the rpm urls.  So you only need to update the urls in
the /etc/sysconfig/rhn/sources file

D. Lee Rose
---
Rose Computer Solutions