Re: Fedora download link - tooooooo busy / good german mirror

Am Di, den 11.11.2003 schrieb Rodolfo J. Paiz um 23:43:

> Joyfully bursting your bubble here: it took me somewhere between 3 and 4
> hours to get them with BitTorrent, and the top speed was well over 400
> KBps. I had 3-4 Mbps of bandwidth available, and you have about 1 Mbps.
> Also remember that I downloaded less than 24 hours after release, while you
> are doing so more than a week later after traffic has decreased somewhat.

I have been downloading on the 6 th of November...

Maybe I should have added, that the mirror is just round the corner
(like 3 miles away), nevertheless the traffic goes long way over
Hannover an back again...

> So what's your point? You stats mean absolutely... nothing.

My points were:
1. Use a mirror the is close to you, no need to download from somewhere
in the pacific.

2. Do not use a busy server. Do not use download.fedora.redhat.com.
The server I used is not listed on the fedora website, only listed at
redhat.com as rh9 mirror.

So I suggest:
3. Search your own favorite mirror. There are lots or not listed
servers.

4. My results were over a 100% of available bandwidth: The "official"
limit is 768KB, but some ISPs configure the line to 832 for overhead
etc. My top speed was even above 832, it was ~ 840KB.

> [snip]
> even at 100% efficiency and 100% saturation which
> is impossible

I think this /is/ 100% efficiency. I have been surfing and downloading
on another machine on the same line. I can hardly imagine bittorent can
beat this.

> And that is
> bandwidth that most people on Earth still do not have.

Of course not most of the people, but DSL is very popular in Germany.
For most internet users I know ~ 768KB ist the standard :-)

> Neither BitTorrent nor FTP are perfect solutions; there are times when
> either one is better. Do not expect there to be, and do not promote, the
> mentally-myopic view of "there is one way which is better" since that is
> almost always wrong.

Ok, you are right here.

Christoph