new account preference customizations

I would like certain default preferences created upon accout creation as
well. I figure most of these will go under /etc/skell but I am not sure.

For example, Mozilla default behavior preferences. Looking in my test
account I see in .mozilla/default/*.slt directory. As this number seems
random upon creation I am assuming the extension .slt is the 'salt'? If so
how does one properly create this directory so I can recreate it from a
template with an updated prefs.js and bookmark.html file?

Another example would be creating some extra Gnome menu links and items on
the lower screen menu pane. Like adding Adobe to the Fedora->Office area
and adding a Terminal icon to the bottom menu pane.

Thanks

Greg