Re: APT, YUM Upgrade problems

On Nov 12, 2003, Axel Thimm <Axel.Thimm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 12, 2003 at 05:35:13PM -0200, Alexandre Oliva wrote:
>> On Nov 12, 2003, Luca Da Col <luca.dacol@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>> >         file /etc/apt/apt.conf from install of apt-0.5.15cnc1-0.fdr.3.1
>> > conflicts with file from package atrpms-15-1.rh9.at

>> Well, the conflict exists, atrpms wants to override apt and yum config
>> files, but it doesn't avoid the conflicts AFAICT.  I've just e-mailed
>> Axel about it, hopefully he'll have a fix soon.

> Hm, I answered your mail, before I saw this one. Anyway, the short
> story is there is nothing broken only repackaged, e.g. config files of
> apt/yum are not in apt/yum but in atrpms.

Could we perhaps talk you into keeping the apt and yum config files
out of the atrpms package?  Otherwise it will conflict with any apt
and yum package in the distro or provided by third parties that don't
follow your practice.

Also, consider what happens if multiple people have the same idea that
you had, of bundling supporting files with apt/yum config files.  It
means one can't install supporting packages for more than one such
repository, which IMHO is a very bad idea.

>> Maybe I should just add `Provides: atrpms' to my own
>> install-what-I-want meta-package.

> Then provide also atrpms' functionality. At the end of the day you
> will have the same package.

Understood, thanks for the clarification.