Re: Safe to install and compile FreeSWAN?

> >1) Get the kernel source into a usable state (make distclean, copy the
> >correct config to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config, make menuconfig, exit
> >immediately saving changes, make dep).  Then edit the kernel Makefile
> >and remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION otherwise your modules won't
> >install into the standard kernel afterwards.

<snip>
> >4) in /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/net/ipsec/, rename the
> >relevant ipsec.o-{arch} to ipsec.o

<more snip>

> The kernel source should already be in a usable state, unless you've
> already tweaked if for some other reason, so step 1 should be unneeded.
> I just did 'start ipsec' instead of your step 5.  Of course, I edited
> /etc/ipsec.conf first.  I think step 4 should be automated by freeswan,
> but it doesn't seem to work in Fedora.
>
> Mike

Been bitten before by the kernel source not being in a usable state (RH9
original kernel, ISTR), so I was probably being defensive :) And I
needed to get rid of "custom" in EXTRAVERSION anyway - first time I
tried this I ended up with modules that wouldn't load ...

Mark
--
Mark Smith <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>