Safe to install and compile FreeSWAN?

I tried searching the mailing list archives of both Fedora and FreeS\WAN, and nothing turns up. That seems very odd to me, so it makes me think I somehow screwed up the searches. Anyway, I recently switched from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 1. I want to get FreeS\WAN working again (I had the RPM for 2.03 installed and working). I read a recent post about modifications to the standard Linux kernel, so I'm nervous about trying to install and compile FreeS\WAN into the kernel. Has this been done successfully? Any pitfalls to be aware of?

--
Matt Harrell
matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx