Re: Safe to install and compile FreeSWAN?

Mark Smith wrote:

Compiled it myself yesterday, seems to work fine so far.

I found hints somewhere (on a different machine now, sorry!) about the
full process, but in a nutshell:

1) Get the kernel source into a usable state (make distclean, copy the
correct config to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config, make menuconfig, exit
immediately saving changes, make dep).  Then edit the kernel Makefile
and remove "custom" from EXTRAVERSION otherwise your modules won't
install into the standard kernel afterwards.

2) Get the standard freeswan source from freeswan.org, and make by:

cd {freeswan-src}/packaging/redhat
make CC=gcc32 RH_KERNELSRC=/usr/src/linux-2.4 rpm

3) Install the rpms.

4) in /lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2115.nptl/kernel/net/ipsec/, rename the
relevant ipsec.o-{arch} to ipsec.o

5) depmod -ae then modprobe ipsec

If there are no complaints about missing symbols you're all set.

Seems remarkably convoluted, and there must be an easier way, but at
least it works :)

The kernel source should already be in a usable state, unless you've already tweaked if for some other reason, so step 1 should be unneeded. I just did 'start ipsec' instead of your step 5. Of course, I edited /etc/ipsec.conf first. I think step 4 should be automated by freeswan, but it doesn't seem to work in Fedora.

Mike