Re: up2date --register

On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 17:07, Marc Williams wrote:

> I think he's saying the same thing I was wondering.  If RHN is out of
> the equation, why do so many things seems to reference it?  If I click
> on my Alert icon, what pops up but a message alerting me to the fact
> that I am not registered with RHN with a convenient button to do just
> that.  Canceling out of that leaves the main "Red Hat Network Alert
> Notification Tool" telling me that the applet hasn't been able to access
> a couple different sources.  If I ignore that warning and go right into
> the "Launch up2date" button, I am presented with the Red Hat Update
> Agent screen telling me that this agent will assist me in updating my
> software from the Red Hat Network.  So far, that's three different
> screens effectively telling me that I damn well better subscribe to RHN.
>
> But there's more.  If I then hit the Forward button, the next screen
> shows me the channels I've subscribed to and telling me that if I need
> more information I'm supposed to visit https://rhn.redhat.com.  Only
> then am I through with all the screens telling about RHN and why I
> should join.

I finally understood this today when I left clicked on the button.  I
normally operate by right clicking and selecting a menu item.

Daniel Veillard, the maintainer has realized the problem and says in a
post to this list

http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2003-November/msg00719.html

that he will try to produce a fix for it this weekend.  As you noted, if
you persevere, it works, but it IS very confusing.  This applet,
although called the rhn-applet really has nothing to do with RHN in
Fedora.  It is really just the convenient mechanism for GUI access to
up2date.

Gerry