problems with date and xemacs

Hi,
 I installed fedora core 1 today and have observed the
following problems:

1.  I am unable to configure the timezone (displays
only UTC). Thus, the command "date" displays

> date
Thu Nov  6 22:35:20 UTC 2003

I tried copying the appropriate timezone file from
\usr\share\zoneinfo to \etc\timezone, using the time
applet in gnome, as well as set UTC=false in
/etc/sysconfig/clock
However, none of these seem to work.

2.  xemacs freezes if I try to maximize the window.
However, it works fine otherwise.

Any help with these two problems would be much
appreciated.

Regards,
 Sanjay