Re: root is denied the ability to change permissions?

Use

$ man mount

and find the section of vfat mount options.

Dennis Calhoun wrote:
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 14:44:14 -0800, you wrote:

Dennis Calhoun wrote:

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:19:03 +0100, you wrote:

Am Mi, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Dennis Calhoun um 23:09:

Yup, it seems very odd to me and I've found no way around it, but when
I try to use *any* means of changing the permissions on certain
things, root is denied the ability to do so. I want to make a slave
drive, that I've properly mounted, open for writing to it under my
regular username instead of having to log out completely and log back
in as root. So far I cannot find a way for root to be able to change
this.

Any idea why this is and what I can do about it?
If more info is needed, please be simple and clear about exactly what
you want me to get from where and I will gladly supply it.

I bet the drive/partition you are speaking about has a fat32/ntfs
filesystem on it. On such systems you can't chmod/chown.

Hi Alexander

Yes, it is fat32 (or vfat as linux wants it called). Thing is, as the
owner, root, I can read, write and execute... as any other user I
cannot write to it.

It really stinks to have to completely log out and then log in as root
to be able to write to that drive. The same situation exits on another
windows partition too. Is there ANY way to enable my regular user to
write to these?

Use one of the fat mount options for mount.

ONE of? Which one? I've having a hard enough time of learning about
Linux as it is. This is all so foreign to me that I've NO idea what a
lot of this stuff means or what it will or will not do.

Dennis