Re: root is denied the ability to change permissions?

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 23:19:03 +0100, you wrote:

>Am Mi, den 24.12.2003 schrieb Dennis Calhoun um 23:09:
>> Yup, it seems very odd to me and I've found no way around it, but when
>> I try to use *any* means of changing the permissions on certain
>> things, root is denied the ability to do so. I want to make a slave
>> drive, that I've properly mounted, open for writing to it under my
>> regular username instead of having to log out completely and log back
>> in as root. So far I cannot find a way for root to be able to change
>> this.
>>
>> Any idea why this is and what I can do about it?
>> If more info is needed, please be simple and clear about exactly what
>> you want me to get from where and I will gladly supply it.

>I bet the drive/partition you are speaking about has a fat32/ntfs
>filesystem on it. On such systems you can't chmod/chown.

Hi Alexander

Yes, it is fat32 (or vfat as linux wants it called). Thing is, as the
owner, root, I can read, write and execute... as any other user I
cannot write to it.

It really stinks to have to completely log out and then log in as root
to be able to write to that drive. The same situation exits on another
windows partition too. Is there ANY way to enable my regular user to
write to these?

--
Dennis C.