Re: cdrom errors

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 22:41:39 -0000, Simon Bell wrote
> Hi
>
> I have an LG CRD-8400C cdrom drive. My problem is that i get errors during
> boot up, and the cdrom locks the pc if i insert a disk. From past experience
> with redhat 9 i was told that putting
>
> hdparm -d0 /dev/hda
>
> into my rc.local file that dma would be disable and the drive would work
> again, and this actually works. My question is though, is there any
> way to remove the errors from appearing during boot up, and why wont
> dma actually work? The drive works fine under windows without any
> settings changes.
>
> dmesg output for hda:
>
>     ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
> hda: CRD-8400C, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
> hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete
> Error } hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0xb4
>
> thanks
> Simon

What alot of people tend to forget is, that because a device runs ok on
Windows, it doesn't mean it will run ok on Linux (Or any other Unix based OS
for that matter). I've known systems running DOS/Windows OS's for years, to
fail as soon as Xenix was installed on it (Another Unix based OS). And another
thing to remember is that most/all the hardware manufacturer's out there have
been brain washed into designing their hardware to run on Windows. And in
some/most cases it does things differently than a Unix based OS.

I have run both Pioneer and Ricoh CD-ROM drives and burners in my systems with
Linux (for years now), without a single problem. Here in Australia they are a
little more expensive than other brands but at least I know they work without
any trouble.

There's another command that can be put into the /etc/modules.conf file to
turn DMA on/off. But I can't remember what it was (Someone else on this list
may be able to shed some light on this). (I don't use that command on this
system here at the office, but on the one at home I do.)

Wolf