cdrom errors

Hi

I have an LG CRD-8400C cdrom drive. My problem is that i get errors during
boot up, and the cdrom locks the pc if i insert a disk. From past experience
with redhat 9 i was told that putting

hdparm -d0 /dev/hda

into my rc.local file that dma would be disable and the drive would work
again, and this actually works. My question is though, is there any way to
remove the errors from appearing during boot up, and why wont dma actually
work? The drive works fine under windows without any settings changes.

dmesg output for hda:

    ide0: BM-DMA at 0xf000-0xf007, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:pio
hda: CRD-8400C, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: set_drive_speed_status: error=0xb4

thanks
Simon