Hard freeze with kernel-2.6.0

I'm having a curious problem with linux-2.6.0
(compiled from the official www.kernel.org source)
on my Sony Vaio C1VFK laptop, under Fedora-1.

I get a hard freeze after about an hour
(this has happened 3 times,
and I think the time could be exactly the same on each occasion)
when very unusually I cannot stop the computer
by pressing the power button --
I have to remove the battery.

I've never met this behaviour before, in 2 years with the Vaio.

I wonder if anyone has any idea what might cause this?
I'm logging kernel errors to another machine,
but nothing useful turned up there.

I did compile in swsusp -- I'll try removing that
and see if it is the culprit.
I think that was about the only change I made in the kernel configuration.

Any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366