Feedback, query...

Recently migrated from RH9 to FC1.

Network of three core machines - server + two workstations. server =
1Ghz Athlon on VIA chipset, workstations are P4 2.4 on intel and Athlon
2800+ on nForce2 respectively

workstations are on gigabit uplinks to the server, which is a 4 way
bridge with an IP address. 2 x e1000, 2 x e100 . I am hoping to replace
it with dual CPU unit in not so distant future.

Should also mention have been using PlanetCCRMA -
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu

The server ran an upgrade install, the 2800+ Athlon is a clean install
and the P4 is still RH9, sort-of...as much as possible has been upgraded
on this box, so although it's not FC1, a lot of the packages are.

the e1000's have been occaisionally problematic. up/down, occaisional
lockups ( the P4 tftp boots to an NFS filesystem ) that never occured
accross 100BT. After FC1 upgrade this seems moderately better, but not
entirely resolved, if someone could suggest tuning I could use or
something to tweak that might help here, that'd be great.

Recently attempted compiling 2.6.0 kernel, just to try it out.

The heavily upgraded RH9 box compiled OK. Seems to run OK, although I'll
be using 2.4.22 variant for the time being as certain apps / third party
modules won't compile. Saw an impressive speed difference straight off
the bat, BTW.

Server had problems compiling, and am now getting consistent failures at
fs/buffer.c    The same kernel config compiles on the RH9 core and I
installed that to see how it went on the FC1 server. At one point the
compile was pointing to quote " hardware or OS problems" as "the problem
could not be duplicated"....

The server is currently running that kernel, and things are operating,
except that....

the P4 downloads a kernel via tftp from the server OK, and promptly
fails CRC check on the image. If the server is running 2.4.22, that
doesn't happen.

I don't seem to be able to start KDE either; kdeinit fails.

The 2800+ FC1 workstation appears to be similarly unable to compile
2.6.0

This is the first kernel I've tried to compile since FC1 install..

I am hoping FC2 will be better in this regard....a linux enthusiast
distro DEFINATELY needs to be able to compile it's own kernel.

Anyway, if anyone could throw a pointer or two my way, that'd be great,
for now, I'll stick with 2.4.22 variant from Planet CCRMA