Assigning group rights (was: Re: Root isn't God

Bruce W. Bigby wrote:

Here's an example of my fstab entry:

/dev/hda1 /c vfat defaults,uid=bigby,gid=bigby,umask=007 1 2

The umask makes the files and directories rwx for user and group, and
NOT readable, writable, or executable by other.  The bigby is my family
group. Anyone in my family can read, write, or search/execute the
files.  Noone else can do a thing.

Ok, I guess thats a good idea. I still wonder though how the group-thing works. If someone is in group bigby, say user1. Then she logs on to userid user1 and gets the permissions for user1. Are all group permissions assigned automatically, or do you have to change group in some way?

Guus (have been using Linux for some time now, but still not clear on some issues. That's for being a non-sysadmin at work).
--
A.J. Bonnema, Leiden The Netherlands,
user #328198 (Linux Counter http://counter.li.org)