Re: Root isn't God

On Sat, 2003-12-20 at 06:43, Ivan F. Martinez wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 12:19:53 +0100
> Nicolò Nepote <nepote@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> NN> I have mounted a fat32 partition 7dev/hda2 on /mnt/data with the
> NN> vfat option and added an entry in /etc/fstab with auto option. The
> NN> folder /mnt/data was created with default umask and has 755
> NN> permissions. In order to have the possibility to write on that disk
> NN> when I login as "nepote" (that is my usual identity and is part of
> NN> the group "root") i logged in as root and:
> NN>
> NN> chmod 775 /mnt/data -R
> NN>
> NN> the command returns a list off "you don't have enough permissions
> NN> (requested 775, was 755)"
> NN>
> NN> ?????????
>

> You can't change permissions on vfat with chown and chmod.
> man mount
> and look the options to specify this parameters at mount time.

Here's an example of my fstab entry:

/dev/hda1       /c          vfat
defaults,uid=bigby,gid=bigby,umask=007   1 2

The umask makes the files and directories rwx for user and group, and
NOT readable, writable, or executable by other.  The bigby is my family
group. Anyone in my family can read, write, or search/execute the
files.  Noone else can do a thing.
--
Bruce W. Bigby
http://home.rochester.rr.com/bigbyofrocny