Abit KD7 - System Hangs, Scroll lock, Caps Lock lights on keyboard flash

Hello, Everyone
I just installed an Abit KD7 motherboard in my computer and everything worked
fine for almost a whole day. The first time this happened, I came back to the
computer and there was a screensaver on the monitor, but it was locked-up. In
addition, the scroll-lock and caps-lock (maybe number-lock, can't remember.
Obviously I'm not at my own computer ) were flashing on and off, in unison.
Can't remember what I tried first, it probably happened that way a few times
before I tried something else.
Then I proceeded to reinstall my operating system (Fedora Core Linux 1) The
floppy booted fine, resulting in the installation program starting off of my
external, USB2 CDRW drive. The installation proceeded normally until it got to
the part about "Formatting / (root) partition", then the system locked up, and
the above mentioned lights on the keyboard started flashing on and off, in
unision, just like in the first example. Then I got some error messages
about "Kernel panic" I then proceeded to try installing again, with the exact
same result, at the exact same point in the installation.

Operating System: Fedora Core Linux, version 1
Motherboard: Abit KD7
Video Card: ATI Radeon 7000
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Power Supply: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt PSU
Hard Drive (Primary Master) - Western Digital Caviar 120 Gigabytes
Hard Drive (Secondary Master) - Maxtor 160 gigabyte

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. I am going to try installing
Windows XP Home edition, just to see if it is an OS related issue, and I'm
going to try to install Fedora Core without the Maxtor drive (I won't burden
you with additional details on why at this point, suffice to say that I have
reasons to be at least slightly suspicious of my combination of the Western
Digital and the Maxtor drives.)

Also, I forgot to mention that I am writing this from a webmail client, so if
there are any issues with line wrapping or HTML (unlikely), I do apologize :)

Thanks in advance for your help :)
Steven P. Ulrick