RE: IMAP vs Pop3

> Dang.. Didn't finish what I wanted to say.. Sorry.. (smiling meekly)

:)

<snip>

So you are using Outlook  to retrieve your email from your Linux box via
POP3 for reading?

At work I use Outlook as a mail client (YUCK!) and use IMAP to connect to
the spam quarantine mailbox on our linux server and also IMAP through an
SSL tunnel to my home linux server for reading my mail there.

The IMAP works well but there are a couple of places where I see delays.
It behaves a bit like reading NNTP news.
- You get one delay when you first look into the mail folder while Outlook
downloads all the mail headers
- You get another delay when you select an email to be read.

My thoughts are you would take the same amount of time to read your email
via IMAP if you read each and every message.

If you regularly highlight a group of emails and delete them unread (like
a discussion thread you are not interested in) then your reading would be
faster as each email isn't downloaded, just the headers.

POP3 will always download all emails regardless so perhaps that is why you
are finding it slow?

--
Regards,