Re: Erreta support

Am Mi, den 17.12.2003 schrieb Samuel Flory um 23:11:
> Rich Reardon wrote:
> > Bill Carlson wrote:
> >
> >> You do realize that by definition Fedora is supposed to have a new
> >> Release twice a year or so? The EOL of each release would appear to be
> >> 2-3 months after the next release (ie EOL for FC1 will be 2-3 months
> >> after FC2 is released). EOL meaning no more errata/security fixes.
> >> So, if you're using Fedora, you should already be planning on updating
> >> at least every 6 months.
[...]
>    You can use yum or apt to upgrade to the "current" release without
> requiring an upgrade in the old sense of the word.  I've gone from RH
> 8.0 to FC 1 via apt-get, and I've used yum to upgrade from RH 9 to FC 1.
>   I've never actually used the upgrade proccess thru the installer.  All
> I do is point yum or apt-get at my local fedora and do an upgrade.
> (apt-get update; apt-get dist-upgrade or apt-get upgrade)

I hope we can support this "official" in the future. See

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=fedora-list&m=106677277924707&w=2
(redhat search doesn't work ATM)

Quoting the relevant parts:

-------
List:     fedora-list
Subject:  Re: Update Fedora to a new Major-Version while running
From:     Owen Taylor <otaylor () redhat ! com>
Date:     2003-09-24 16:03:09

> will it be "official supported" to update from one Fedora-Core to the
> next major Fedora-Core Version while the machine is doing it's normal
> (server) work?
[...]

I think the answer to this is that if people are interested in it,
and are willing to do the necessary work of:

 - Testing
 - Fixing problems they find

Than it can be a feature of Fedora; it's not something that, as far as
I know, Red Hat is going to spend engineering resources on, but that
doesn't constrain the possible features of Fedora.

[...]
-------

CU
thl