flash player

I am having a heck of a time getting flash to work on fc1.  I have tried
it with mozilla and firebird and it is needing something that I thought
came with pretty much every distro.  I install it using the installer
from macromedia and using directions from mozilla.org and I get this
error every time:

LoadPlugin:  failed to initialize shared library
/home/jlee/MozillaFirebird/plugins/libflashplayer.so
[libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3:  cannot open shared object file:  No such
file or directory]

Anyone have some ideas on how i can get flash to work?