re: USB2 and Fedora

On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 00:34, redhat wrote:
> Thanks for the input all.  The environment that this unit is in will be
> for video editing - so file sizes will be rather large.  I am wondering
> if going with GB NIC card would be a better solution?  I only have three
> computers on this VLAN and the Fedora box is within just a few feet of
> the video editing machine.  Any thoughts on GB NIC cards with Fedora?
> thanks,
> DF
>

> On Tue, 2003-12-16 at 18:00, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > > Questions about USB2 on Fedora...
> >
> > I have used USB2 interfaced drive cages with both RH9 and Fedora.
> > I have seen some lock-up behaviour on very large (like 10GB+), max
> > rate data transfers with the SanMax InClose drive tray system.
> > I have not had time to narrow down the cause.  I have not seen
> > this behaviour with the slower ViPower drive tray system.  I have
> > had decent luck with USB2 cards using the NEC chipset.
> >
> > So, there is a bug lurking out there, but I don't have time to
> > isolate it.  If your transfer rates and file sizes are moderate,
> > it probably won't appear.
> >
> > There is plenty of usb2 info at http://www.linux-usb.org/ .
> >
> > Keith
[snip]

I run this one in two of my servers and they work very well, and they
have the single channel version too (Couldn't get that link on their
site to work, so I used this one as an example). But you most probably
won't have to go this elaborate.

http://www.intel.com/network/connectivity/products/pro1000mt_dual_server_adapter.htm

Wolf