Re: Mail server HOWTO

At 10:29 12/16/2003, you wrote:
I've gotten a DocBook DTD and have been figuring it out, with some success
so far.  I've also already started the install, along with the document (I'm
writing the HOWTO as I install the server).

I've been working the same method on my next document, a "Simple Netserver HOWTO". This one is for a home or SOHO box running firewall/gateway duties and also serving DHCP, DNS, and NTP to the client network. So our methodologies are similar, and I've been badly wanting to expand the "Sendmail SMTP AUTH HOWTO" into the "Simple Mailserver HOWTO".

Co-authoring sounds good to me, I'll contact you directly tonight, after
I've had a chance to look at your doc.  I've still got my (very poor) notes
on my RH 9 setup with postfix (I refuse to use sendmail, with their poor
security track record) smtp auth, TLS and imaps.  Also the virus and spam
checking. :)

Great! Our experiences seem to be complementary, since I don't mind sendmail but have been wanting to learn postfix as well.

My goal is to have a doc that will allow a person to go (hopefully in just a
few hours) from a blank machine into a working, safe, secure email server.

Exactly, a Simple-Mailserver-HOWTO. Excellent.

-- Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.simpaticus.com