Re: x86-64 and FC1

> Pete wrote:

>>>   2.4.23 works just fine with the latest libata patch applied.  If
>>>anyone wants it I can email, off list, a 2.4.23 that works with promise
>>>sata controllers.  It should be enough to get someone up and running
>>>well enough to compile a 2.4.23 /w the libata patches.
>>

>> That might work and I'd be pretty happy to try it. Is this built
>> specifically
>> for the 64 bit iso install?
>
>    No it's built for my nfsroot.  It should work with a network install,
> but I seem to remember that for cdrom installs you need a patch inorder
> to swap cdroms.  It might work for a minimal cdrom install.
>
>> If not, my original question still stands. What
>> do I pass to the kernel for init=?
>>
>    You shouldn't need to pass "init=".  That's only needed if you want
> to force something other than the normal init level.
>

> --
> There is no such thing as obsolete hardware.
> Merely hardware that other people don't want.
> (The Second Rule of Hardware Acquisition)
> Sam Flory  <sflory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>

> --

Unfortunately, I think what I originally asked has been forgotten. What I
want to do is use a kernel that has currently not been built for the
install (I'm doing this from a DVD-RW BTW) for a DVD install. I can
replace the existing kernel with one from the Mandrak RC1 install, which
sorta works, but doesn't actually know how to start the installer. Also,
since the replacement kernel uses devfs, I'm guessing it won't work at
all, but I haven't gotten that far. It was a test.

Anyway, I would like to replace the current kernel with one that supports
Promise SATA so I can run the installer (or just run a module built
against it). I just don't know how to do that yet. I'm thinking one of two
paths. Either I wait until a new installer scheme supports my choice of
controller, or I build a new kernel (or module) and use that. I can do #1,
but would rather do #2 (I just don't know how). I do appreciate all this
help though. Thanks.

--
Life is both difficult and time consuming.