Re: I think fedora needs...

On Mon, 2003-12-15 at 04:54, dballester@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi:
>
> The really needs for Linux Desktop is an hipotetical program called
> something like LUI ( Linux Universal Installer ). With apt-rpm we have a
> good application manager but we need to make easy for end-users to 'click'
> on a program.tar.gz and run configure, make, make install in a fake place,
> resolving dependencies and working eith apt-rpm or standalone to
> download/install/update this dependencies.
IMHO, I think you are missing the point. LINUX is a multi-user system.
Hence allowing users to install things goes against the security of
linux.

That said, however, I would agree that some sort of universal GUI
installer would make it easier for those migrating from closed-source
platforms ...a prime example: Microsoft Windows (TM).

OTH, I would imagine a script that would extract the tarred file,
and running behind a gui. So in effect, instead of doing
"tar-xvf {filename}.tgz" on the command line, the user would do this
from a GUI interface, which first prompts for the root password,
*of course*. I'm not a programmer, but I would think it is feasable.

cheers,

Elton Woo ;-)
"You only live once: let's make life BETTER for each other."
LINUX User #193975 [AMD ATHLON CPU] ICQ #149608718.Public