Re: raid controller recommendation

I've been forced to use IDE RAID due to cost and capacity.
I'm honestly not too keen on the whole IDE RAID thing, myself.  Promise
puts the drive hashes on the controller, which means that if your
controller dies - you're screwed.  You can't replace the controller and
get your data back.  Its basically software raid, but with a controller
card.  If you're doing anything mission critical, I'd really recommend
going with a "real" hardware RAID solution.  Accusys makes a nice
external RAID controller (SCSI), as does Infortrend - but they don't
come cheap.  If you're stuck with IDE, Promise makes their RM4000,
RM8000 and RM15000 external arrays which, in my opinion, are really
cool.  Again, they aren't cheap, but really, really nice.  I'm currently
using several of these.

Mike.