Re: Samba - how to put into domain and authenticate (once again)

On Wed, Dec 10, 2003 at 08:37:13AM +0100, Grosswiler Roger wrote:
> i sucessfully did my net rpc join from my linux-clients, so they are in
> the samba-domain.
>
> But: how do i login into my domain if i am on the login into linux? i
> thought must be the form DOMAIN\user nevertheless what you defined in
> winbind. But, i always get the message "Username or Password wrong".
>
> 1) What am i doing false here?
>
> If i login as a regular user, i can go into the nautilus-network-browswer,
> where i can see my domain and (after a login) the machines inside. But i
> have no mountpoints there.

The 'login' program (or gdm, or kdm, or xdm, or whatever) probably
doesn't know who the user is.  Check that 'winbind' is listed in
/etc/nsswitch.conf on the lines for 'passwd', 'group'.

You can run 'wbinfo -u' to check that winbind can read information about
your users from your domain controller, and run 'getent passwd' to check
if libc (and applications which use it, which is all of them, including
the application which is trying to authenticate you) can read
information about those users from the sources listed in
/etc/nsswitch.conf (which should include 'winbind').

That done, you'll want to configure login and other applications to
authenticate users using winbind by adding a line
  auth sufficient pam_winbind.so
to /etc/pam.d/system-auth, just under the line which reads
  auth sufficient /lib/security/$ISA/pam_unix.so likeauth nullok

To finish up, you'll need to make sure that the user has a home
directory for gdm, kdm, and the like, but logging in at the console
should work at this point, even if the user doesn't have a home
directory.

HTH,

Nalin