Fedora Core 1 on an ASUS A7V600 motherboard

Hi,

I've just bought an ASUS A7V600 motherboard (VIA KT600) and wondered if
anyone here had already some experience in getting it to work properly with
Fedora Core 1.

Here are the specs :
http://www.asus.com/products/mb/socketa/a7v600/overview.htm

Basically :

- 3Com Gigabit Ethernet : Needs a driver download from asus.com, for a
source based kernel module named 3c2000.o which seems to work (compiels
fine against FC1's kernel-source, loads, chip gets detected, haven't
actually tested the interface yet). Does anyone know if this may get
included into the mainstream kernel or patched into the Fedora one? The
module seems to be released under the GNU GPL :

$ grep LICENSE *
skge.c: * MODULE_LICENSE was introduced in 2.4.10 */
skge.c:MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");

- Integrated VIA Serial ATA : I've read here and there that there is a SATA
patch for 2.4 somewhere (included in 2.4.22-ac4 it seems) which provides a
sata_via.o module. Certainly what I need, but what is the easiest and
cleanest way to get it in? Is there a patch against the Fedora kernel
floating around? As I'd really prefer that...

- On board ATA133 ports : I'm unable to boot from drives connected to those
regular IDE ports, I currently have to boot from a floppy, and can't get
GRUB into the MBR it seems :

[root@phoenix root]# df
/dev/hda1            196015808  26788852 169226956  14% /
none                    516364         0    516364   0% /dev/shm
[root@phoenix root]# grub-install /dev/hda
/dev/hda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive.

Is there a way to get around this? I've looked at all possible BIOS
options, tested many combinations (the hard drive is seen by the BIOS and
listed in the boot devices) but to no avail.
I'd like to have the system disks on the S-ATA interface anyway, so this
may be a non-issue if I can get S-ATA working properly.

- IDE RAID on the Serial ATA : Has anyone tried it? Does the S-ATA patch
even work with it, e.g. is it real hardware based RAID or not? I've had
really bad experiences with Promise IDE RAID in the past, and would
probably go for software RAID1 unless I get lots of positive feedback for
that VIA chipset (which I don't really count on).

Overall it looks like a nice motherboard. Hopefully not to "cheap"
though...

Feedback very much appreciated.
Matthias

Fedora Core release 1 (Yarrow) - Linux kernel 2.4.22-1.2129.nptl
Load : 0.76 0.84 0.63