Re: set no password in a fedora user

On Tue, 2003-12-09 at 14:15, Corné Beerse wrote:
> Rafa Quintanilla wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I am using fedora and set two more users, one of them
> > my wife. I tried to leave her password blank, but
> > fedora wouldn't admit that (altho I have it so in MDK
> > 9.2, in the same hard disk). Does anyone know if that
> > is possible? How?

<snip>

> btw: `vipw` uses `vi` or `vim` by default. If you set the environment variable
> "EDITOR" to your favorite editor, then it uses that:
> # setenv EDITOR nedit
> or
> # set EDITOR=nedit; export EDITOR

or simply:
# export EDITOR=nedit

:)

> Be noted, you can directly edit the password file (/etc/passwd) or the shadow
> password file (/etc/shadow ??) but if it gets corrupted, you cannot login
> anymore and most likely need to reinstall the entire system... The `vipw` tool
> checks the validity of the /etc/password file.

Editing /etc/passwd directly is certainly not to recommend, but there's
no need to reinstall because you lost your root password. Just boot the
bootdisks you created, and set a new root password.

And if you didn't create a bootdisk you can grab tomsrtbt:
http://www.toms.net/rb/

Or any other linux rescue disk/bootdisk for that matter...

--
tarjei