Re: set no password in a fedora user

Rafa Quintanilla wrote:

Hi,
I am using fedora and set two more users, one of them
my wife. I tried to leave her password blank, but
fedora wouldn't admit that (altho I have it so in MDK
9.2, in the same hard disk). Does anyone know if that
is possible? How?

It somehow depends on your security settings. The unix default is to remove the (encrypted) password from the password file. Use `vipw` to edit the password file! It adds some checks to force a sane password file and after you close the password file, it opens the shadow-password file if aplicable.

If the password field in the password file does not contain an encrypted password but a sinlge character, like a 'x' or such, then you can try to remove that. Otherwise, remove the encrypted password from the shadow-password file, which opens automatically after you close the (edited) password file.

btw: `vipw` uses `vi` or `vim` by default. If you set the environment variable "EDITOR" to your favorite editor, then it uses that:
# setenv EDITOR nedit
or
# set EDITOR=nedit; export EDITOR

Be noted, you can directly edit the password file (/etc/passwd) or the shadow password file (/etc/shadow ??) but if it gets corrupted, you cannot login anymore and most likely need to reinstall the entire system... The `vipw` tool checks the validity of the /etc/password file.

CBee