Re: Installation - Upgrading Boot Loader

Thanks for the help, Scott.  I'm afraid I still haven't got on top of this yet, though...

>> 1.  How can I force an upgrade of the boot configuration to GRUB?
>
>Once you are running fedora get to a terminal and su  to root run
>grub-install /dev/hda (assuming that is where your boot drive mbr is)

I am rather nervous about this - I have to dual-boot with Win95 :-( and if I get this wrong it will cause trouble for other people.  The problem is that I can't find a grub configuration file in /boot (or anywhere else for that matter) and so I don't know how grub is going to know what to do.  When I installed RH7.3 there was a GUI that talked me through the process of setting up LILO, but I can't find anything similar in FC1.  There's a menu item labelled 'lilo config', but the program it refers to doesn't exist.

>> 2.  Has the Fedora installation upgraded the kernel on my HD?
>    The installation should have placed kernal 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl on your
>drive when you tried to put grub on your mbr it was anaconda (the
>install program) that told you you still have the 2.4.22.2115.nptl
>kernal (by the way there is an upgrade available when you get read for
>it.
>
>> 3.  If not, how can I force a kernel upgrade?
>    Once you get grub installed or even if you just get into a terminal,
>type 'uname -a' you will get a string of characters including kernal
>version. Of course when GRUB is installed you'll see the kernal in the
>boot sequence too!

'uname -a' gives the following:
Linux localhost.localdomain 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl #1 Wed Oct 29 15:42:51 EST 2003 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

That's the kernel loaded from the boot floppy. It's also the version that I can see in /boot - so I can't work out why LILO doesn't load it properly.

This is what my lilo.conf looks like:

--- begin lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hda
prompt
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
root=/dev/hdb3
vga=791

other=/dev/hda1
    label=Windows98
---end

As you say, there is a kernel update available - I tried running up2date and it told me that - but I am even more wary of attempting to update the kernel when I haven't got this one working properly yet.  Also, updating the kernel used to be a procedure that was not for the faint-hearted - although I gather from elsewhere in this mailing list that it is a lot more straightforward now.

As before, any advice would be most welcome.  I'm not as timid as it might seem, but I think I ought to get my dux in aro before messing with the system.

Regards

-  -
-   -
-  -
Þing
Keeper of the Correctly Placed Apostrophe