Re: Installation - Upgrading Boot Loader

On Fri, 2003-12-05 at 01:25, Ã?ing) wrote:
> A request for help from a (relative) newbie:
>
> Last night I upgraded from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora Core 1.
>
> It all went pretty smoothly, but...
> With RH7.3 I had been dual-booting with W98 using LILO on the MBR.
> In the Fedora installation I chose 'Update boot configuration' rather than 'upgrade' - that was the recommended option.
> When I booted up the new installation I found I could not mount my FAT32 drives - I got a message saying 'kernel does not support VFAT'.  And I could not use KPPP - I got a message saying 'kernel does not support ppp'.
>
> I tried the boot floppy I had created but it did not work.
>
> After a short panic I re-ran the installation, choosing 'Upgrade boot configuration' and set it to use GRUB instead of LILO.  However, when the installation ran it told me that it was not changing the boot configuration as the kernel had not changed.
>
> The good news was that this time the boot diskette I created did work and that when I used this I got my FAT32 disks and KPPP working again.
> So I now have a Fedora installation that works, but only when I boot from the floppy.
>
> Could someone help me get it working from the HD?
> I need to know the following
> 1.  How can I force an upgrade of the boot configuration to GRUB?

Once you are running fedora get to a terminal and su  to root run
grub-install /dev/hda (assuming that is where your boot drive mbr is)

> 2.  Has the Fedora installation upgraded the kernel on my HD?
	The installation should have placed kernal 2.4.22-1.2115.nptl on your
drive when you tried to put grub on your mbr it was anaconda (the
install program) that told you you still have the 2.4.22.2115.nptl
kernal (by the way there is an upgrade available when you get read for
it.

> 3.  If not, how can I force a kernel upgrade?
	Once you get grub installed or even if you just get into a terminal,
type 'uname -a' you will get a string of characters including kernal
version. Of course when GRUB is installed you'll see the kernal in the
boot sequence too!

Good Luck

> Any assistance would be much appreciated.

You're very welcome

Scott