Re: printing to a network printer

On Wed, 2003-12-03 at 12:31, Randy Kelsoe wrote:
> >Now I'm trying to set up FC1 on the same network, to use the same printer...
> >either directly as a "JetDirect" connection, or through the windows shared
> >printer.

If you want to print from your linux boxes to the windows printer
(share): on the windows 2000+ server, go to start->settings->network and
dialup connections->advanced menu->optional components->other network
file and print services. Choose details... then print services for unix.
You'll also want to confirm that the tcp/ip print server service is then
set for automatic startup. You may need to `chkconfig cups-lpd on` at
your linux box.

Why would you want to do this?
For one thing, to take advantage of a common print spooler. Yes, you
could set up linux and samba as the print spooler for your network, but
it sounds like the original poster already has a working windows network
in place.

Having multiple computers/spoolers attempting to make network
connections to a single printer may work fine in many environments, but
you'll see annoying connection errors if some machines are sending large
files. One of my clients routinely sends 550MB print files (or larger)
to their printers, so having one print spooler for each printer reduced
contention.

Another reason is for printer accounting, paper billing, and so forth.
Some windows shops also do printer pooling and/or establish multiple
shares that point to the same physical device, albeit with different
priorities for each share. For example, the ceo's print jobs preempt the
jobs from other users, for example. Some print shares may also have
time-of-day stipulations, so that extremely large jobs are held for
night-time printing.

Yet another reason is security. There have been some network hacks of
printers, so restricting through packet firewalls can be valuable in
highly-secure (or highly public) environments.

This is not an argument for windows, linux, as400, or any other
platform. On the contrary, it is simply an explanation as to why it
sometimes makes sense to restrict network access to printers to certain
spoolers.

HTH,
Paul