Re: avoid nvidia?

On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 02:49:15PM -0800, Don wrote:

>    I'm  finally getting fed up with my ancient Pentium 60MHz 96MByte Ram,
>    machine  and  am thinking of buying a replacement for the sole purpose
>    of  running  Fedora....  I  don't  really  care if the GUI works, I'll
>    probably  set  the machine at runlevel 3 (is that the one for "normal"
>    use, non-gui?)

Yes. See /etc/inittab.

>    But, I would like to be able to run X if I needed to...
>

>    From  what  I've  seen on this list there's a lot of comments/problems
>    with nvidia graphics cards.... if I'm looking to buy a machine, should
>    I avoid nvidia all together? And if so, what's a better choice?

I just installed Fedora Core 1 on an nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
MX/MX 400] (rev 178) on an ASUS A7V8X-X motherboard, and I have
exactly one video glitch, which may be motherboard related. I'll
research and document it in detail and post to the list. The Fedora
Xfree86 "nv" driver is doing just fine once I get X running.

>    I'm  looking  to  spend  around  $600-$800 ... I don't need a monitor,
>    keyboard,  mouse,  I  don't  even  need a large hard disk. I thought I
>    would  remove  whatever  hard disk comes with it, putting in a "spare"
>    120GB disk I have.

Heck, check out Walmart.com. They ship boxen to the US with Lindows
for $US200 & up, plus shipping. Noisy, though.