Re: Boot configuration

On Mon, 1 Dec 2003, [iso-8859-1] Arturo Duran top-posted:

> Hi, Matthew,
>
> This is not exactly an answer, but I do hope it is
> helpful:
>
> I have a brand new Samsung X10 Centrino laptop; it
> shipped with 2 OEM partitions, which simply made my
> HDD partition table useless for any partitioning tool.
>
> I therefore erased the whole HDD, setting aside a
> primary partition for WinXP Pro.
>
> My XP Pro creates a Compaq Diagnostics Partition
> automatically after installation, so I used a
> partitioning tool to delete this space.
>
> After only the XP Pro (NTFS) and the Data (FAT32)
> partitions were present, I carried out a Linux install
> with FC1, using 3 logical partitions for "/", "/home",
> and "swap".
>
> AFAIK, if you decide to use a /boot partition, it MUST
> be located in the first 1024 MB of your HDD.

IIRC, that requirement was lifted after some version of LILO and is not a
requirement of GRUB (except for some broken BIOSes), however, it couldn't
hurt...  Win2K also has this requirement, I think.

> However, it is absolutely NOT necessary to have this
> partition present.
>
> If you create a "/", together with, for example, a
> "/usr", a "/var", and a "/home" partition, your kernel
> images will be placed under "/", and this can go
> ANYWHERE in your HDD.

OK that's a partial answer.  If / can be a logical partition with a /boot
subdirectory, then I can do that or I can almost certainly have /boot be
logical as well.

But I still need to be able to put GRUB in a partition that isn't the Dell
diagnostic one or the S2D one or the Win2K one. (The diag and Win2k ones
need to be left there as long as my Dell service contract is in force.  I
want to have the S2D one until ACPI hibernate works reliably).

Is there any reason GRUB would not work in the extended partition boot
record or a logical partition boot record?

Thanks.