Re: Boot configuration

Hi, Matthew,

This is not exactly an answer, but I do hope it is
helpful:

I have a brand new Samsung X10 Centrino laptop; it
shipped with 2 OEM partitions, which simply made my
HDD partition table useless for any partitioning tool.

I therefore erased the whole HDD, setting aside a
primary partition for WinXP Pro.

My XP Pro creates a Compaq Diagnostics Partition
automatically after installation, so I used a
partitioning tool to delete this space.

After only the XP Pro (NTFS) and the Data (FAT32)
partitions were present, I carried out a Linux install
with FC1, using 3 logical partitions for "/", "/home",
and "swap".

AFAIK, if you decide to use a /boot partition, it MUST
be located in the first 1024 MB of your HDD.

However, it is absolutely NOT necessary to have this
partition present.

If you create a "/", together with, for example, a
"/usr", a "/var", and a "/home" partition, your kernel
images will be placed under "/", and this can go
ANYWHERE in your HDD.

Regards,

Arturo Duran

--- Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > I
have a Dell Latitude C640 laptop that I want to