Re: Upcoming Redhat 10 (or whatever it will be called)

On Monday, Aug 18, 2003, at 19:26 Asia/Jerusalem, ctalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Okay, I have read news stories saying Red Hat will be leaving the retail
distro channel. Can someone clarify if this is true? It would not bother me
so much, but will it also mean the end of the boxed set? Will Red Hat go
with a magazine style subsription as they are doing in Europe (I believe -
my German and Italian are not perfect, so I am only guessing that RedHat
Magazine is run by Red Hat)?

Does anyone know the answers? Just want to know what to do when Severn
becomes the next version.

Chuck,

RedHat is actually leaving the "boxed distro" business as far as redhat 10 is concerned. This complies with the shift of the actual "user" distro's status which is now called "Red Hat Linux Project." You can read more about that and the shift of development power somewhere on redhat's site. If someone can provide the link I would be much obliged, I'm too tired to go digging. RedHat is basically going to focus on selling their enterprise line of stuff while drawing on the base distro as a source of packages and advancements. Basically, the new distro is gonna be like the testing grounds for the new technology to be included into the enterprise line. ISO's will still be available for the distro for download from the usual mirrors. As far as redhat magazine I know nothing about that. Hope I was of some help.

Thanks, Jack