Re: Why does reading from /dev/urandom deplete entropy so much?

Theodore Tso wrote:
On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:37:57AM -0500, Jon Masters wrote:
BTW, You may be better off using "uuidgen -t" to generate the UUID in
the smolt RPM, since that will use 12 bits of randomness from
/dev/random, plus the MAC, address and timestamp.  So even if there is
zero randomness in /dev/random, and the time is January 1, 1970, at
least the MAC will contribute some uniqueness to the UUID.
I haven't checked how uuidgen uses the MAC, but I would suggest that
that is not something Fedora should jump at doing - although it would
help ensure unique UUIDs, it also contributes to the tinfoil hat

Huh?  What's the concern?  All you are submitting is a list of
hardware devices in your system.  That's hardly anything sensitive....

We actually had a very vocal minority about all of that which ended up putting us in the unfortunate position of generating a random UUID instead of using a hardware UUID from hal :-/

   -Mike