Re: New Address Family: Inter Process Networking (IPN)

Andi Kleen wrote:
"This document describes Linux Netlink, which is used in Linux both as
  an intra-kernel messaging system as well as between kernel and user
  space."

It can be used between user space daemons as well. In fact it is.
e.g. they often listen to each other's messages.

One problem we ran into was that there are only 32 multicast groups per netlink protocol family.

We had a situation where we could have used netlink, but we needed the equivalent of thousands of multicast groups. Latency was very important, so we ended up doing essentially a multicast unix socket rather than taking the extra penalty for UDP multicast.

Chris