Re: [RFC] kobject: add kobject_init_ng and kobject_init_and_add functions

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 06:22:37PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Nov 2007, Greg KH wrote:
> >  And you
> > can't know that, so you have to call kobject_put() in order to be safe
> > and clean up everything.
> >
> > Now why did we not do the final kobject_put() in kobject_del() as well?
> > Doing two calls, always in order, seems a bit strange, anyone know why
> > it's this way?
>
> To be symmetrical with kobject_init() and kobject_add().  Besides,
> isn't there kobject_unregister()?  Presumably it will go away along
> with kobject_register(), though.

Yes, it will go away too, once everyone gets converted.

> > > You could put that a little less strongly.  After kobject_init() you
> > > SHOULD call kobject_put() to clean up properly, and after kobject_add()
> > > you MUST call kobject_del() and kobject_put().
> >
> > No, in looking at the code, you only need to call kobject_del() to clean
> > everything up properly, if kobject_add() succeeds.  No need to call
> > kobject_put() yet again.
>
> Sorry, yes, that's what I meant.  After a successful call to
> kobject_add() you must call kobject_del() to undo the _add, and then
> kobject_put() for the final cleanup.

No, kobject_del() does the put for you[1].  All that is needed is a call
to kobject_del().

I'll post the updated patches in a minute, they look and seem to work
much better.

thanks,

greg k-h